Head Lice is a difficult and irritating pest that plagues the cleanliest of us all. Most common in children in school. Route of transmission is from combs, brushes and close contact with an infected person. Many people rush out to buy the strongest product on the market without knowing of harmful side effects. Remember a few things like:
- Lice have grown resistant to the ingredients in over-the-counter lice treatments. If over-the-counter preparations don’t work, your doctor can prescribe shampoos or lotions that contain different ingredients BUT REMEMBER SIDE EFFECTS!!
- Side effects include irritation of the skin, scalp and eyes as well as numbness at the application site. This medication isn’t recommended for children younger than 6 months of age.
- Serious neurological side effects
Here are tried and tested home remedies used in India and throughout world:
- One of the effective remedy for treating head louse would be to extract the juice from an onion. Apply this juice on the scalp of the head and keep it for 3 to 4 hours. Thereafter, shampoo the hair. Repeat this process for 3 days.
- Grind a raw custard apple with its seeds. Store the powder in an air tight box and apply it on the scalp before going to bed. Tie a cloth bandage on it. Have a head wash the next morning.
- Alternatively, custard apple powder can be used to make a paste using some water. Apply this paste and keep it overnight. Wash the hair the next morning. Not only would it clear the lice and the nits, but also keep the dandruff away.
- Mix 6 tsp of water and 2 tsp of vinegar. Dab this mixture on the scalp and tie a cloth bandage over it. Keep it overnight. Apply this mixture two times a week.
- Oil the hair using tea tree oil or any other essential oil at the night. Have a head wash the next morning.
- Another way to use the tea tree oil would be to add 10-15 drops of it into the shampoo. Use this shampoo as a hair wash.
- Oil the hair using mayonnaise oil. Keep it for two hours. Thereafter, comb the hair.
- Take 3 to 4 tsp of butter and add a few drops of lemon to it. Apply this mixture on the head and keep it for some time. (20 seconds given) Wash the hair thoroughly.
- Combine equal quantity of baby oil and vinegar. Apply this combination on the scalp and keep it for an hour. Later, rinse thoroughly using a shampoo.
- Have a head wash and then apply Listerine. Keep it for about 10 to 15 minutes after which, rinse the hair using water.
- Make a paste using 8 to 10 almonds. In this, add 2 to 3 tsp of lime juice. Apply this paste and leave it for ½ an hour. Rinse the hair thoroughly.
- Take 1 tsp each of garlic and lime juice and make a paste. Apply this paste and keep it for half an hour. Thereafter, have a head wash.
- Take an apple and chop it into small pieces. Apply these pieces into the hair. Massage it well for about half an hour. Later, wash the hair. Repeat this for three days.
- Add some camphor to a freshly extracted coconut oil. Keep this overnight. Wash the hair the next morning. Repeat this process for at least 4 days.
Good luck! And remember you also have to treat everything in your home. Beds, bedspreads, pillowcases, towels, carpet, combs, brushes, pets…you name it! Where those little buggers can jump and make more eggs is where you must clean. Please be aware of vacuum cleaners as the bags, brushes etc can get infested if not cleaned properly.
I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCES AND REMEDIES BELOW: